Agenda for Tactical-Safer Spaces Joint Meeting 3/23
Agenda for a Joint Safer Spaces-Tactical Meeting
Meeting Guidelines (written up and posted)
--Respect the diversity of experience
--Let's think well of each other
--Move up/move back
--Manage your technology (no screens, if you can)
--Practice Both/And thinking and I-Statements (no blame, shame, or attacks..)
--Facilitator/s do/es not express personal opinion or bias
This workshop will be slightly repurposed and proposed (at Saturday 3/24 GA) to take place on Saturday 3/30
Medics and Safer Spaces are meeting on Saturday at 2pm at City Place, to discuss health and safety (you're invited)
A. Occupy Camp and Society (30 min)
- count off into groups
- have a note-taker and stack-keeper
- 20 min - discussion: principles of the next occupation. What are the values of the camp (as a protest to the world around us)
- 10 min - reportbacks
B. Versions of the Occupy Camp (1 hour)
- offer several options for next group breakout. Keeping them time-specific allows us to talk very broadly about different goals: for example, can short-term occupations, like long-term ones, be about community-building and mutual aid? And how can long-term occupations prevent activist burnout and maintain their identity as a political protest against institutions, without becoming calicified in its own institutions and hierarchies.
- no-overnight occupation
- overnight/2-3 day occupation
- two-week occupation
- targeted occupation (e.g. site-specific, event-specific)
- other suggestions?
- call for temp small-group facilitators for each type of occupation (i.e. who feels strongly enough about just one of those that they'd like to take point on one of the breakout groups?). Ask folks to break out into groups according to which type of thing they are interested in.
- ask groups to have a note-taker and a stack-taker. Question for each group (30min of discussion)
- 10 min - What would need to happen for this type of occupation to come about (e.g. small group coordinating it? GA consensus or autonomous action? funding?)
- 10 min - What kind of space would be ideal for this type of occupation?
- 10 min - How would the safety and health of the protestors be ensured?
4. reportbacks (15 min)
C. Reflections, large-group discussion (15 min)
1. Move up/move back. If you haven't spoken much in this meeting, please take a minute to share what you've realized/learned/come away with, today.
2. Brainstorm: what is the next step after this discussion (remind about GA discussion, also)
3. Tasks! Please volunteer for a task that you or your group can complete towards continuing the conversation about re-occupying.